Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Indentifying the Major Personality Types

Identifying personality types is critical to understanding others and being understood by them. I know many of you are familiar with the four main personality types. You have probably heard them labeled with weird names that you can barely pronounce. But I have learned them as four colors. The four colors of personality are: Yellow, Blue, Green, and Red.

Yellows make up 35% of the population and are open in indirect in nature. Their motto is, "Let's be friends." They are usually teachers, nurses, counselors, daycare workers and the like. They are casual and comfortable dressers and Yellows have a soft and gentle voice.

The strengths of a Yellow are in the fact that they are dependable, team players, patient, supportive and nurturing. Their weaknesses include over-sensitivity, followers, and they are not goal oriented. Yellows take things way too personal!

Keywords for the Yellow are: Teamwork, together, relationships and family. The dislikes of the Yellow are pushy people, bullies and conflict.

The next personality color is Blue (like me!). Blue's make up 15% of the population and are open and direct. The motto of the Blue is, "Let's have fun!" The common occupations of a Blue are sales, entertainment, and public speaking. The Blue's voice is loud and fast...really fast! They are easily excited! Blue's dress is stylish, colorful and flamboyant.

The strengths of the Blue are in the fact that they are promoters, convincing, enthusiastic, creative, and high in energy. Blue’s run like freight trains and try to do 50 things at once.

The weakness of the Blue is that they talk too much. They will talk over you and out-talk you. Silence with a Blue is not golden. Blue’s are poor savers and follow-uppers. Blue's are unorganized (you should see my desk) and exaggerate (I try not to, really!).

The keywords of a Blue are fun, awesome, and excitement. The Blue's dislike not having fun, facts and figures, too much detail, being alone and did I mention, not having fun!

Next in line are the Green's. Green's make up 35% of the population and are indirect like the Yellow's but self-contained. The motto of the Green's is "Let me have the facts and figures...all of them!" They people can drive the Blue's crazy!

Green's are usually accountants, engineers, researchers and have a soft and polite voice. Green's dress conservative and formal.

The strengths of the Green's are that they are organized, planners, accurate, and persistent with great follow-through. Their weaknesses are in being over-analytical, hard to please, depressed (I wonder why), and lonely.

The keywords that a Green would use are: Why, graphs, charts, research, exactly.
Dislikes of the Green are pushy people, no facts, and being late.

Last but not least are the Red's. Why did I put them last...to irritate them! Red’s make up 15% of the population and their motto is, "Get out of my way!" Red's usually occupy the positions of CEO, attorney, airline pilot, name buildings after themselves and like to be called "The Donald!" Red’s are direct and self-contained.

The speech of the Red is forceful with volume...can you hear me! The strengths of the Red's are in the fact that they are focused, goal oriented and intense.

Yes, the Red's have weaknesses, but they will never admit it. The weaknesses of the Red’s are: Ego, short tempered, domineering, impatient, and un-coachable. You just can't teach them anything!

Keywords to look for in a Red are: Money, money, and more money, power, control and they are too the point. Red's hate indecision, chit-chat and the feeling of losing control.

Why mention personality types? I mention them because if you know how to relate to each person that you talk to, you will be more successful. You will know what they like and dislike, thus helping them to like you more!

My advice to you is to learn the art of identifying personality types. If you want to find out more, please contact me and I will forward more awesome information to you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you know where to find the questions that help a person to find their color?

Michael & Sandy Puskas said...

There are many sources. You don't really need to take a test to find out. If you review the article again you might be able to determine your color. If you are interested, I can send you our Colors to Success Skills recording. If you send my your email address I can forward this 63 minute recording. Email me at michael.puskas@gmail.com with your information and request.

Anonymous said...

Hi I am interested in getting the Colors to Success Skills recording sent to me.. My email address is sacalahanfh@yahoo.com... My name is Shirley Calahan.. Thank you

Carol Merlo said...

I love personality typing! You can take a free online personality test on my website http://www.networkingtypes.com. I have written a great little ebook that can help you easily determine your personality type and identify other peoples'.

Check it out!

Carol Merlo, M.Ed.

Tomspry said...

I read your posts totally, I got and learn many new things from your blog which i was searching from many days.Thank you so much for providing us these nice articles.

Networking Business